Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cycle to work - choosing route


View Cycling to Work in a larger map

cycle to work sound interesting  .. but to put in the action .. there are plenty of things and considerations before you take out the bike and hit the road .. in depends and vary from one person to person .. as for me, safety always a priority ..

cycle to work should be fun and safe .. you know yourself better than other people .. you know when you are ready .. now it is time to think about the environmental factors of safety .. the route .. choose the best route .. for me the best route is the less traffic and the shortest in distance .. from klang to Bandar utama it will be 30-35km one way .. there are plenty of access .. the main is federal highway and LDP, second is NKVE, third using KESAS and NKVE or LDP and list goes on by mix and fit the combination of the road .. but all the routes mention was dominated by motorist .. which advantage in speed compare to bicycle ..

so, where should I ride and hit .. google maps are very helpful during scouting and planning the route .. I put away the motocycle lane aside, highway as well and definitely there are restricted for bicycle to be in the highway .. it is illegal and breaking the rules .. none and never ever any vehicles without engine to be in the highway .. it is apply almost at all highway in Malaysia .. but some highway still allow this to happen .. and they record the death tolls of the unlucky cyclist being hit by typical reckless drivers .. so sad when this happen .. when it can be prevent before it happen .. why choose highway to cycle ? enough said ..

back to the ground .. from klang to shah alam .. I’ve got two options .. via town and hit the federal motorcycle lane .. quite dangerous and the shortest way to go thru shah alam .. the second one is via CEB to sg rasah along jalan batu tiga lama until it cutoff at the carlberg .. mix traffic of cars, buses, and lorries .. the exact word doesn’t come across rite now .. I’m mark up the risk taking level and boost my confident level to ride in motorcycle lane .. phase one complete ..
now second phase, shah alam to subang .. again the federal motorcycle lane provide the shortest in distance .. whahlau !!! but other than that I’ve glenmerie in the list and kampong melayu subang .. glenmerie landscape and moderate hill climb and less traffic after a junction to subang jaya .. while jalan kampong melayu subang almost flat but a bit longer .. ok I kick out federal highway and jalan kampong melayu subang .. climb some hill sure will pay you with downhill .. hah .. I could save my energy and put little push on the momentum to drive forward ..
last phase of the journey .. subang to Bandar utama .. where can I ride if not using LDP or use back way via dataran prima ? both ways are heavy with traffic and killing the breath .. the CO2 level are high .. ohh now I’m an environmentalist plak .. no no no .. I just wanna say that the asap from other vehicles could distract your focus in riding .. and the tension arouse while ride along the heavy trafficvroad .. thanks god, the development on surrounding area of subang area intensive after subang international airport has moved the operation to KLIA .. new place called ara damansara suddenly appeared in between subang and Bandar utama .. I’ve see ara damansara as another luxury residential .. full with guarded and gated housing estates .. as well planned new township the area provide wider road and path of pavement along the way for pedestrians and cyclists .. thank you developer .. even the traffic are increasing it still managed to coupe for the time being ..
that’s it .. when I put it all together, klang > shah alam > glenmeri > subang > ara damansara > Bandar utama = +-33km .. yahhh it is crazy distances for some .. but I think it is still in my cycling distance .. and I make it ..  it almost like my Sunday loop .. home > kpg kuantan > klang > lontong > Bandar botanic > andalas > home ..

it is unexpected to see or meet with other riders whose also cycling to work .. today just after subang I’ve met kota damansara specialized’s mechanic. With same objective and interest we ride along ara damansara area .. hmm  I’m not alone cycling to work .. other people also ride mehhhh .. we split up at Tropicana junction .. I’m off to Bandar utama and he off to kota damansara ..

till next time .. be safe on the route and enjoy cycling .. cycle for smarter planet ..  

No comments:

Post a Comment